Wednesday, February 16, 2005

PC Games: Adventures in Self-Publishing -- Freedom Force vs. the 3rd Reich

PC Games: Adventures in Self-Publishing -- Freedom Force vs. the 3rd Reich

Argh. I had this whole diatribe on how awesome it would be if more developers self published, but then I lost it because this posting window sucks. Anyway, because I don't feel like typing it all again, here are the highlights:

  • Irrational is self-publishing Freedom Force vs. the Third Reich. They have a deal with Vivendi to put the game on shelves, but the marketing, packaging, sales, etc. are all Irrational.

  • This is a good thing because publishers have different interested from those of the developers and the gamers: Whereas developers want to make an enjoyable game that people will enjoy playing, publishers want to sell a game that will sell to as many people as possible, regardless of its quality. To sum up: Developers = good, wholesome, Wilford-Brimley-in-Cocoon; Publishers = Grand Moff Tarkin.

  • The game industry needs an independent sub-market like the film industry has. Whenever Hollywood gets lax, they fear that a Kevin Smith or a Napoleon Dynamite will pop up. When the game industry gets lax, it turtles and puts out more banal me-too crap. If EA was afraid that some guy and his friends in Nebraska might make a game that's cooler than theirs, they might be less flippant about dealing out crap to their "loyal" fans.

  • There was something about EA being evil, so there. I worked there, I know: EA = evil. See above re: Grand Moff Tarkin.

  • I enjoy watching the television show Monk.

  • I think that was about all I had.


Man. If you could have read the article I was planning to post, you would have been all impressed by my intelligence and wisdom. Now you have to content yourself with just imagining how wise and intelligent I must be. Which really isn't that much, so don't hurt yourself.